July 9, 2010

Weekend Fun - Celebrating Our Independence

Jax and Mommy
Friday afternoon Jax and I decorated his bike for the annual McKay's Mill July 4th Parade.  This was his first year to participate and we had tons of fun getting ready for it.


My brother Jay and me
Saturday morning before the bike parade my brother Jay and I ran (with a little walking mixed in for me) the Cadillac Firecracker 5k in Brentwood.  Jay ran a very impressive race beating his previous time by three minutes.  He completed the race in a little over 29 minutes.  I was a bit slower but had a fun morning.  This was our second time to run the Firecrakcer 5k.  I'm looking forward to the Franklin Classic 5k in September. I'm working hard to improve my time so that Jay won't have to wait so long for me at the finish line.

Daddy and Jax warming up for the parade!
Granddaddy and Mema - looking a little sleepy!
Jax is ready to roll!
The fire truck leading the parade.
Jax enjoying his popsicle after the festivities.
Still working on that popsicle.

That's so funny, Mommy!
The bike parade was a huge success.  Jax loved every minute.  His favorite part was "catching the firetruck".  The entire time he was riding in the parade he kept telling me that he had to "catch the firetruck".  Every time he said it he would start peddling faster.  There were lots of games and races before the parade began.  John and I were a little nervous about Jax riding his tricycle with so many other bikers but he did great.  It was a fun morning and we were happy to have Mema and Granddaddy join us.  After the festivities we enjoyed a yummy breakfast at Merridee's Breadbasket in downtown Franklin. 

Uh-oh!  Is there something you need to tell us, CoCo?
This is how CoCo greeted us Sunday morning when we returned home from church.  I was getting Jax out of the car when I heard John exclaim, "COCO"!  This could not be good.  John said, "Julie, you have to see this."  Coco is a sweet-natured dog except for her love of barking and recent love of the upstairs laundry room trash can.  Bless her heart! I really felt sorry for her when I saw that she was stuck in the top of the can.  She had the saddest eyes.  Of course, I had to snap a pic before we removed it.   She seemed very grateful for her "freedom".  Very appropriate for the day I must say!

Jax and his bird feeder.
Jax has some very brave Sunday school teachers.  They made adorable bird feeders from pine cones, marshmallow cream and birdseed.  He loved hanging it on a tree in our yard.

Let's get wet!
Splish!  Splash!
Getting ready for fireworks!
Our weekend ended with a wonderful July 4th party hosted by friends from our Sunday school class.  We enjoyed hamburgers, hot dogs, baked beans, chips and yummy desserts.  Our gracious hosts had lots of fun things for the kids to do.  Jax had a blast playing with all of the other kiddos in the pool and sprinklers.  We enjoyed talking with friends and meeting new ones.  Our friends live very near Crockett park so we were able to see the fireworks from their yard.  We only stayed a few minutes because it was getting late but we were able to enjoy a little bit of the show.  It was a great weekend spent with family and friends.  How blessed we are to live in the United States of America.  Thank you to all of the many men and women that have fought and are fighting to protect our freedom and to our founding fathers.  Of course, the ultimate glory is to God.  Oh yes - we are blessed!

No comments: