September 12, 2008

September 12

Before John and I tucked sweet baby Jax in last night, we read the book September 12th - We Knew Everything Would Be All Right. It's a precious book that was written and illustrated by first-grade students of H. Byron Masterson Elementary School in Kennett, Missouri the day after September 11, 2001. It's a book that I read to my second graders each year as we remembered that tragic day in our country's history. Although Jax is too young to understand I wanted to begin a tradition of reading it as a family each year on September 11 because one day Jax will understand. I want Jax to grow up being grateful for the great country in which we live. I watched much of the coverage yesterday of the memorial services for the victims of that sad day. Of course I remember where I was. I actually did not learn of the attacks until I took my class to lunch that Tuesday. The first thing I did after returning to my classroom was call my mom. I just wanted to hear my mom's voice because then I knew it would be okay. I recall hearing our first lady, Laura Bush say the exact thing. She called her mom just to hear her voice. There's just something about moms.


I'm so grateful that our country is safe and has not been attacked since that day - something that we may not always remember. For the many criticisms that President Bush has received, I believe that he deserves a thank you for doing all he has to make our nation a safer place.

No comments: