August 31, 2008

Gustav

I am so thankful to be safe in my home tonight. I have watched the coverage of Hurricane Gustav almost all day. I found myself with tears in my eyes as I watched people boarding planes and buses as they were being evacuated. I'm thankful that they are being transported to safe places but I'm sad for them because they have to leave their homes and most of their belongings behind. I realize that material possessions can be replaced but I can't imagine having to leave my home and not knowing if I will be returning to it because a home is very different than a house. A home is a place of warmth and fond memories. My prayers and thoughts are with the people of New Orleans and the surrounding areas. As I drift off to sleep in a few minutes, I will be thinking about how fortunate I am to be in my home with my family because it is something I sometimes take for granted.

No comments: